Quotes from: The Bible
- One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.
- A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.
- Proverbs 11:24-25
- "Be careful not to do your `acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
- "So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.
- But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,
- so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
- Matthew 6:1-4
- But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind,
- and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous."
- Luke 14:13-14
- If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?
- Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.
- I John 3:17-18
In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: "It is more blessed to give than to receive."
for riches do not endure forever, and a crown is not secure for all generations.
Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful
II Corinthians 9:7
Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give
Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is
Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.
There are some passages, such as I Corinthians 13:1-8 which in the
King James Version speak of charity while in the
New International Version have a very different meaning.