The name "Hunters Point" refers to an area on San Francicso bay just
South of the city. The name comes from a pioneer family of that name who were
living there, rather than from the good game and duck shooting thereabouts as
is commonly supposed. Many of these photos come from the photo collection at
the SF Public Library - for more you may search Subject:
sf districts hunters point
Hunters Point, 1866
First permanent dry-dock on Pacific coast - Hunters Point Dry Dock 1867
... an article appearing in the San Francisco Chronicle in November of 1868. It describes the ingenuity of the builders of the Hunter's Point Dry Dock and the successful docking of Pacific Mail Steamship's Company's side-wheel passenger steamer Colorado. The Colorado was in the San Francisco - Panama service after the summer of 1865 through June 1869, with the exception of occasional trips on the China line, which she inaugurated on January 1, 1867.
Hunters Point drydock, salmon packers in distance
St. China in Old Hunters Point Drydock - 1901
1903 - W. C. Ralston built the first 465-foot
1908 - Great White Fleet drydocks 23 ships
1910 - Bethlehem Steel purchases drydock
River boats "Modoc" and "Apache" abandoned at Hunters Point after having been taken out of service.
North cove of Hunters Point - 1929 Nov. 30.
Old hulks abandoned off Hunters Point -1932 Nov. 25.
1939 - Navy makes initial 47 acre purchase
Hunters Point drydocks - 1940 Jan. 30
U.S. Naval Drydocks, Hunters Point; From The Air - 11 MARCH 1942
The U.S. Navy’s 1942 seizure — some at the
time called it theft — of Treasure Island
was very well publicized. Less well known
was the Navy’s seizure of an entire Hunters
Point neighborhood. The neighborhood, in
the area of Innes Ave. and Coleman St. lies
entirely within the former Hunters Point
Naval Reservation. - 100 Hunters Point Families Out - The San Francisco News, March 10, 1942
Aerial view of Hunters Point Naval Shipyard - 1945 Oct 25
1945 Dec. 17
1945 - Employment 18,000
Aerial view of Hunters Point Naval Shipyard 1946 Aug. 2
Four aircraft carriers at Hunters Point Naval 1947 Jul. 3.
As of the mid-1950s it employed 8,500 civilians
1974 - HPNSY was closed. The Navy retained the shipyard as one parcel, and a ship repair company signed a lease as a master caretaker tenant. Substantial site degradation occurred during this period.
Artists and other uses for the former Navy
1980 - Some of the buildings were renovated into artists studios. Now "The Point" as it is called, has over 200 artists on site and is one of the largest artist communities in the country.
February 10, 1990 - Locomotive 2472 moved to Hunters Point, forming the start
of the The Golden Gate Railroad Museum.
As of the mid-1950s it employed 8,500 civilians. The Navy’s Radiation Defense Laboratory and Pacific Reserve Fleet units were also located there. Established as commercial shipyard in 1870, it was acquired by the Navy 11 days before Pearl Harbor. Subsequently known as Hunters Point Naval Shipyard (HPNSY), after ceasing active operations in 1974, the Navy leased most of the shipyard to a commercial ship repair company that operated until 1986. - Hunters Point / San Francisco Naval Shipyard [at FAS]
HUNTERS POINT NAVAL SHIPYARD EPA ID# CA1170090087
Hunters Point Shipyard - Parcel E Fire Response Information from the Southwest Division, Naval Facilities Engineering Command
February 2000 - the Navy estimated its "cost to complete" shipyard cleanup to be $266 million. Three years ago its Hunters Point Environmental Coordinator testified to the Board of Supervisors that $300 million would be needed to complete the job. Today the Navy is proposing a $105 million "clean-up" that will basically leave Hunters Point Shipyard a toxic dump site, with asphalt and buildings above. Greenaction - Hunters Point Shipyard Alert
Add/view a comments to this page
San Francisco History Index