The FBI ... Past, Present & Future - The Goals of this site:
- To increase general awareness of the history of the FBI - encouraging both
the understanding of how those in the FBI see themselves and their role in
the agency as well as how others have viewed the FBI.
- To be a resource for students who wish to write school reports about the
- To encourage discussion about the legitimate role of the FBI in today's
society and to explore the difficulties that arise from being asked to enforce
laws that lack popular support (i.e. prohibition in the 20's and drug laws
- To offer an unofficial forum for those who wish to express something about
their contact with the FBI.
- To explore the relationship between the FBI and the press and how media
pressure relates to recent FBI blunders.
- To explore the relationship between the FBI, politicians and corporations.
When politicians write laws that show little understanding of technology or
are geared to the particular interests of certain corporations - how does
this affect the legitimacy of agencies that are asked to enforce them?
- To explore issues related to technical and managerial competence within
- To explore how the culture of the agency affects what it does.
The general goal is to demystify the FBI and to shed light on both it's successes
and failures. Our intention is to explore the past for the purpose of offering
guidance to the present and future of the agency. We have no particular agenda
as to how the agency should evolve other than that the agency needs to have
as it's highest priority, legitimacy in the eyes of the American public and
not be perceived primarily as an agency beholden to politicians, special interest
groups or well connected corporations.
What this site is not:
- An official source of information about the FBI.
- A good place to get information about FBI employment - we suggest contacting
the FBI directly about this.
To submit comments or articles for publication on this site, click here.